TIS recently provided Dr. Madhuri Kulkarni of Sion Hospital with 800 copies of a specially created book titled, "Brain Teasers". As part of the team that worked on this book, it was a very satisfying moment indeed.
We created this book ("Brain Teasers"), with inputs from Sion Hospital, to meet the special educational needs of children with learning disabilities. It provides practice in reading, writing and mathematics, and is intended to help children with learning disabilities rediscover the joy of learning. It also helps parents understand learning disabilities and find ways to address them.
The book is aimed at students in the age group of 11 years to 13 years and covers all the learning disabilities; Dyslexia, Dysgraphia and Dyscalculia.
The book is a collection of interesting activities intended to engage children with learning disabilities. The activities have been designed keeping in mind the special educational needs of such children. They provide practice in reading, writing and mathematics. The book is divided into two parts: Information on learning disability for parents and activities for children.
objective while designing the book was to keep the activities simple and
colourful so as to help children rediscover the joy of learning.
- We have purposefully incorporate examples from day-to-day activities to aid better recall.
- We have used simplified illustrations, to help children identify the images.
- We have used bright colours to provide a fresh look to the entire book.
- The activities have been graded with three levels of difficulty.
- The page numbers have been colour coded to depict the levels of difficulty.
(Manisha Mohan is Head - Innovation & Design with Tata Interactive Systems)