I prefer a learning environment that provides me opportunties to:
- Assimilate content at my will.
- Listen to an expert on the topic.
- Watch an expert deal with the task in question (if the learning is problem-solving/task-oriented).
- Interact with an expert.
- Listen to anecdotes, stories, real experiences, and points of view related to the topic.
- Practice the task in a simulated environment (if the learning is problem-solving/task oriented).
- Practice the task in a real environment (if the learning is problem-solving/task oriented).
- Interact with others interested in or pursuing similar topics.
- Reflect on and analyze new learning in relation to existing and evolving knowledge constructs.
- Articulate my own interpretation and position on the topic.
- Continue building on the learning, both formally (research) and informally (reading in a non-linear manner, exchanging ideas, listening to others, etc.).
What do you want as a learner?
(Anil Mammen is a Senior Instructional Design Consultant at Tata Interactive Systems.)